Monday, August 27, 2007

 

The things we do for blog-a-thons

"When compared to the fact that he might very well be dead by this time tomorrow, whether he was courageous or not today was pointless, empty. When compared to the fact that he might be dead tomorrow, everything was pointless. Life was pointless. Whether he looked at a tree or not was pointless. It just didn't make any difference. It was pointless to the tree, it was pointless to every man in his outfit, pointless to everybody in the whole world. Who cared? It was not pointless only to him; and when he was dead, when he ceased to exist, it would be pointless to him too. More important: Not only would it be pointless, it would have been pointless, all along."

From The Thin Red Line by James Jones


When Piper at Lazy Eye Theatre called for a BIZARRO blog-a-thon, I wasn't sure what to come up with. His description certainly was clear enough: "Right will be wrong. Black will be white. Bad performances will suddenly be good. The worst movie will be the best. The saddest movie will be the funniest. And for those three days I may actually like Rob Zombie. Show me how much you hate some actor by telling me how much you love him/her. Give your favorite movie the worst review you've ever given. Declare Martin Scorsese the biggest hack to ever get behind the camera. Whatever you want, just bring your worst (and of course I mean your best)." Then I remembered a silly little review of Double Impact that I wrote eons ago, where I acted as if it were a good movie, though the review itself was clearly tongue in cheek. Of course, that Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle was an easy target. For this occasion, I decided to raise the stakes, so I've selected a movie that I don't think is bad in the truest sense of the word but that certainly is overrated and full of itself. So, for this blog-a-thon, indulge me as I pretend that Terrence Malick and The Thin Red Line was worth the time I spent enduring it, especially now that I've done it twice.


Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Follow edcopeland on Twitter

 Subscribe in a reader